NHCSL - National Hispanic Caucus of State Legislators rhina@nhcsl.org 202 434 8070
NHCSL is the preeminent organization serving and representing the interests of Hispanic state legislators from all states, commonwealths, and territories of the United States. Our mission is to serve as a catalyst for joint action on issues of common concern to all segments of the Hispanic community; a forum for information exchange and member networking; an institute for leadership training; a liaison with sister U.S. NHCSL - National Hispanic Caucus of State Legislators http://nhcsl.org/img/layout/logo.png US United States Washington 20001 444 North Capitol Street, NW, Suite 40

News

01 / 15 / 2016
For Immediate Release 
Contact:  Julissa Reyes
nhcsl
John S. Martinez Scholarship: Now Accepting Applications!

Washington, D.C. – The National Hispanic Caucus of State Legislators (NHCSL) is now accepting applications for the John S. Martinez Leadership Scholarship.

NHCSL will award scholarships to a total of eleven (11) Hispanic public high school students that reside in the district of a Hispanic State Legislator. Each student will receive a one-time $3,000.00 grant to use towards their higher education and will be recognized in their community for their excellent academic achievements.  

“This unique scholarship not only helps offset the increasing costs of higher education but also allows students of Hispanic origin to highlight their perspectives of public service. Through the John S. Martinez Leadership Scholarship, we can acknowledge and celebrate the many successes of these students throughout the country.” –Representative Angel Cruz, President of the NHCSL.

This scholarship is in honor of the late John S. Martinez, a Hispanic leader who served as a member of the Connecticut House of Representatives and a Former President of the NHCSL. Comcast NBCUniversal has made this initiative possible through a generous grant which has allowed the NHCSL to continue its efforts in “Closing the Achievement Gap” for Hispanic students.

NHCSL highly encourages qualified students to log on to our website, www.nhcsl.org to submit an application. The deadline for applications is March 18, 2016.

The NHCSL is the premier national association of Hispanic state legislators working to design and implement policies and procedures that will improve the quality of life for Hispanics throughout the country. NHCSL was founded in 1989 as a nonpartisan, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization with the mission to be the most effective voice for the more than 350 Hispanic legislators. For more information visit www.nhcsl.org.

back