PUERTO RICO: A HEALTHY TERRITORY
The House of Representatives of Puerto Rico, under the leadership of the Speaker, Hon. Jose F. Aponte Hernández and the Hon. Gabriel Rodriguez Aguiló, Chairman of the Health Committee, have developed various activities and health fairs to promote the treatment and prevention of breast cancer, diabetes, heart and kidney deceases and increase organ donation in Puerto Rico. These activities include the promotion of unimpeded access to the Capitol building and legislative services to all disabled citizens. Puerto Rico is distinguished among states and territory as the first territory to create a universal health care system in the nation to cover the needs of the whole population regardless of their economical or social status. Also, the Puerto Rico House of Representative has passed significant legislation to promote equal access to health services and a better health among the general population.
Puerto Rico House of Representative Legislation Report on Health Issues
H Bill 2073 Smoking ban in closed environments in the Island
1. Law 66 prohibits smoking in closed environments in public and private places in Puerto Rico.
H Bill 3309 Award Education on Health for the Puerto Rican Children
2. This bill creates an award of the Department of Education of Puerto Rico which recognizes the excellence in health issues of the programs established in public schools that promote physical activities and good nutrition in the Island.
H Bill 3162 Health Fairs in the Government of Puerto Rico
3. Bill 3162 declares as public policy of the Government of Puerto Rico the celebration of health fairs in every agency, dependency or public corporation implemented with the purpose of educating, preventing and treating health conditions that most affect our population.
H Bill 3026 Chlamydia and Gonorrhea labs for Marriage Certificate
4. This bill adds laboratories of chlamydia and gonorrhea as requisites to a marriage certificate in Puerto Rico.
H Bill 3016 Mandated announcements in media on alcohol and smoking publicity
5. Bill 3016 requires the media in Puerto Rico to include a public announcement that educates on the consequences of excessive consumption of alcohol and smoking in every media or establishment that has alcohol and smoking publicity.
H Bill 1908 Alcohol and cigarette sales banned from Pharmacies
6. This bill prohibits the purchase of alcohol, cigarettes and cigars in pharmacies, through the territory.
H Bill 1777 Programs for Compulsive Players in Puerto Rico
7. This bill creates a program designed to help compulsive players through an orientation program.
H BILL 0075 Minimum Wage for Nurses in Private Sector in PR
8. Bill 0075 establishes a minimum wage level for all nurse professional in the Island.
H Bill 0182 Mandated Coverage in Health Insurance Companies of Respiratory Syncytial Virus Vaccine
9. This Bill mandates Respiratory Syncytial Virus Vaccine in pediatric health insurance coverage.
H Bill 0577 Wage Scales for Nursing Professionals in Public Service in Puerto Rico
10. Bill 0577 creates a wage scale for nurses in the public service and implements a plan to adjust their actual salary scales.
H Bill 0862 Requires courses on services and prevention of suicide as part of the continuing education requirements for health professionals.
11. This bill requires courses on services and prevention of suicide as part of the continuing education requirements for health professionals. The Bill also requires the establishment of a strategic plan for all government health agencies that provide health services to suicidal patients in the Island.
H Bill 1660 Authorization for asthma patients students to medicate themselves in school with parent consent
12. Bill 1660 recognizes the right of asthma students in Puerto Rico to medicate themselves in school with previous parent or tutor consent and the training.
H Bill 2022 Mandated announcements in media of risk of compulsive playing publicity
13. Bill 2022 requires the media in Puerto Rico to include a public announcement that educates on the consequences of compulsive playing in every media or establishment that has hazard or chance games publicity.
Bill 1704 Mandated insurance coverage of cervical cancer vaccine
14. This Bill requires all health coverage policies in the Island to include cervical cancer vaccine for the prevention and treatment of cervical cancer.
HR 2857 Comprehensive Study on Alzheimer in the Island
15. House Resolution 2857 requests a comprehensive study by the Health Commission of the House of Representatives on the incidence of Alzheimer in Puerto Rico and the public policy followed by the Health Department of Puerto Rico on the identification, diagnosis and treatment of Alzheimer in the Island.
HR 5003 Investigation on exposure to sulphur dioxide in Puerto Rico
16. This bill orders an investigation by the Health and Government Commissions on the decision of the Electric Energy Authority of Puerto Rico to use fuel with a large amount of sulphur dioxide due to the hazardous effects this chemical component has on the health of portorricans.
HR 5502 Diabetes Prevention in Children and Adolescents in the Island
17. House Resolution 5502 orders an investigation to the Health and Social Welfare Commissions of the House of Representatives of Puerto Rico on the actual service programs and available resources of the Government of Puerto Rico that address the prevention of diabetes in children and adolescents in the Island.
HR 5624 Welfare of Medicine Students and Job Related Conditions
18. This Resolution orders a study to the Health and Labor Committees of the House of Representatives of Puerto Rico on the availability of hospitals, training facilities, working conditions and salaries of medicine students.
HR 5629 Funds for Hispanic Center of Excellence in Puerto Rico
19. Resolution 5629 request funds to the Appropriations Committees of the Congress of the United States for the Hispanic Center of Excellence of the School of Medicine of the University of Puerto Rico to help provide leadership in investigations and education on health issues for the Hispanic Community and the continuity of health and educational services in the Island.
HR 5678 Ryan White Care Act Funds for AIDS Patients in the Island
20. This Resolution request Ryan White Care Act funds from the Appropriations Committees of the Congress of the United States with the purpose of guaranteeing the continuity of health services and medicine treatment for Aids patients in Puerto Rico.
HR 5200 Funds for Investigation on Sickle Cell Anemia in Puerto Rico
21. Resolution 5200 request funds from the Appropriations Committees of the U.S. Congress for the investigation, prevention and treatment of Sickle Cell Anemia in the Island.
HR 1869 Creation of Task Force on Cervical Cancer in Puerto Rico
22. This bill creates a Task Force integrated by cabinet members of the executive branch and legislators with the duty to develop a strategic plan on prevention, education and treatment of cervical cancer in Puerto Rico.
HR 6002 Puerto Rico’s Department of Consumer Affairs Regulations banning “Trans Fat” from processed food in the Island
23. Puerto Rico’s Department of Consumer Affairs has implemented a regulation that prohibits the use of “Trans Fat” in processed food in restaurants as a result of the legislative initiative.